8:59 am – 11:59 am | Pre-Conference Tutorial | Room: Forum 3-5
Optimizing the User Experience: Identifying Needs and Expectations
Presented by: Thomas Geis
Although most IT systems support the base requirements of business processes they often suffer from a lack of sufficient usability and fall short in user experience thereby constraining business performance. While the understanding of business process analysis and design has evolved over the years, the understanding of what makes a positive user experience still is lagging in many projects and many organizations. This tutorial presents you with state-of-the-art methods on how to create user experiences that make users more effective, efficient and truly satisfied.
What you will take away from this tutorial:
- Understand, what user experience really means
- Learn the characteristics of great experience
- How to talk to users to find out what they need to make experience positive (rather what they may think they want)
- How to articulate user interviews results and observations, so the project team has a basis for informed experience design decisions
- How to surface user needs and derive service requirements that more than satisfy expectations of users
- How to model user tasks and structure user requirements so user interfaces can be derived from facts and not be based solely on individual opinions
- How to integrate user requirements related to user experience with the performance requirements of the business
Thomas Geis is Managing Director of ProContext Consulting GmbH and since 1993 full-time in the work area usability engineering. He is a dedicated professional expert in the occupational field usability and user experience and assumes, among other responsibilities in the following roles:
- Chairman of the International Usability and User Experience Qualification Board (UXQB)
- Founder of the Working Group “Quality Standards “ of the German Usability and User Experience Association (German UPA)
- Head of the ISO Committee "Common Industry Format for Usability"
- Editor of ISO 9241-110 "Dialogue principles for human-system interaction"
- Editor of ISO 25060 "Common Industry Format (CIF) for usability - General Framework for usability-related information"
- Head of the DIN committee "user interfaces"
- Holder of the Usability Achievement Award of the German UPA (2013)
Thomas's 2016 Presentations:
- Optimizing the User Experience: Identifying Needs and Expectations
Tuesday, November 1, 2016 (8:59 am – 11:59 am)
- The Customer Experience Life Cycle as a Basis for Structuring Requirements
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 (2:00 pm – 3:00 pm)