11:35 am – 12:35 pm | Presentation | Room: Pompeian III & IV
Communicate to Collaborate: How to Get Everyone on the Same Page
Collaboration has to start and be constantly maintained with open and meaningful communication amongst all participants and stakeholders. This is critical to the success of all business transformation, software development & information technology projects, especially in fast-moving environments and with multi-disciplinary teams.
How can you optimize communication to increase the value of the collaboration and improve performance and project outcomes?
- Understand your business colleagues and Customers, and make sure that they understand you.
- Avoid unnecessary jargon. If you do use technical or domain-specific terms, make sure that everyone knows what they mean.
- Carry out 360-degree communication; be as inclusive as possible.
- Use appropriate communication media, styles & language with each stakeholder group.
- Take specific measures when working with Agile and blended teams and with different languages, cultures, locations & timezones.
The Business Analyst has a fundamental role to play in this process, as a translator between different domains, an excellent communicator in all its forms, a champion of clear & consistent language, and increasingly a persuasive storyteller.
BABOK v3 says:
‘Effective communication involves both the sender and receiver possessing the same understanding of the information being communicated.’
This means everyone involved in projects from the most senior decision-making executive to junior colleagues and IT professionals. Individuals and groups need to be nurtured and engaged appropriately.
With a mixture of case studies and audience participation I will provide examples of use and a set of tools & techniques to ensure that everyone gets the message!
- Provide tools & techniques for effective communication
- Recognise the pitfalls of jargon on both sides of a conversation
- Determine the right communication medium, style & language to use with different stakeholder groups
IT elementary school ltd.
Tony Lawrence is a UK-based Business Analyst with over 25 years’ experience in Financial Services, education & publishing. He started working in IT as an Analyst/Programmer and continues to work with Clients as an advocate, product owner, change agent, facilitator & team leader.
His passion for clear and effective communication has been one of the few constants in an industry that is always evolving; and that means communication with anyone and everyone involved in the process.
He has recently completed a post-graduate Master’s and research into the effectiveness of self-directed learning materials, which garnered some great insight into learning styles, behaviours and preferences across a broad demographic.
Tony also writes a blog about IT, Business Analysis and related subjects and is the Principal of the social enterprise IT elementary school, which champions IT literacy and inclusion
Tony's 2016 Presentations:
- Communicate to Collaborate: How to Get Everyone on the Same Page
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 (11:35 am – 12:35 pm)