10:40 am – 11:40 am |
| Room: Cibolo 1-3
10:40 am – 11:40 am | Presentation | Room: Cibolo 1-3
Managing Business Rules, Vocabulary, and Operational Decisions
Several years ago, the Immunization Information Systems Support Branch (IISSB) of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) embarked on a journey to implement a business rule approach to address issues with communication and interpretation of common business rules. This presentation describes that journey, from the introduction of new business analysis techniques and a new tool to the expansion of the approach to other areas within IISSB.
This presentation walks you through how a business rule approach is being used to:
- Simplify the process of generating and updating the specification for implementing the rules for immunization. These rules are established at the national level but implemented at a local level (e.g., state, county).
- Manage the terminology, principles and business rules across various best practice guides targeted to the Immunization Information Systems (IIS) community who implement the rules for patient immunization.
- Improve communication through a common vocabulary.
- Understand the benefits of a business rule approach
- Understand how the business approach is used in a complex environment
- Learn how a business rule management tool can enable consistency and reuse of terminology and rules
Lauren Shaw is in the Immunization Information Systems Support Branch at the CDC. She holds an M.S. in Applied Statistics from Kennesaw State University. Lauren serves as a branch liaison for the National Immunization Surveys within her division and is the lead for the IIS Annual Report.
Lauren's 2018 Presentations:
- Managing Business Rules, Vocabulary, and Operational Decisions
Thursday, November 8, 2018 (10:40 am – 11:40 am)
- Business Rules Excellence Panel
Friday, November 9, 2018 (8:00 am – 8:45 am)